The history of our church began in the Macedonia Baptist Church, which was located at 22 E. Main Street. After a disagreement between the pastor and part of the congregation, some of the members decided to leave. These members, led by Rev. Mort Jackson, established their first place of worship in October 1934 at 1821 E. Main Street. One of the charter members and a deacon of the church,, Addison Royster, is credited for naming the church "New Light."
On October 4, 1947, approximately 13 years after being united by God, the congregation moved with their pastor at that time, Rev. Daniel Williams, to the old Trinity Methodist Church. The church was purchased from the Church of God for $13,000. Designed by Richmond architect, Robert L. West, in what his contemporaries described as "Italian-styled," the original cost of the church was $35,000.
God has truly blessed the New Light family through His faithful servants: Rev. Mort Jackson (1934-1942); Rev. L.M. Bray, Rev. Daniel Williams, Rev. John Williams, Rev. Roy Clark (1957-1970); Rev. Keel; Rev. Floyd Davis (1978-1979); Rev. Michael V. Kelsey Sr. (1981-1986); Rev. Dr. Verlin D. Williams (1987-1994), Rev. Dr. Walter L. Smith, Jr. (1996-2006) and our current pastor, Rev. Dr. Vernon J. Hurte (2010-present).